Shenandoah National Park is located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia just west of Washington, D.C. and stretches 105 miles from its northern entrance at Front Royal to its southern entrance near Waynesboro. Skyline Drive is the scenic roadway that takes you through the park. There are four entrances into Shenandoah National Park and numerous gateway communities that offer services, including dining and lodging.
The park’s four entrances/exits are:
- Front Royal, accessible via I-66 and Route 340
- Thornton Gap, accessible via Route 211
- Swift Run Gap, accessible via Route 33
- Rockfish Gap, accessible via I-64 and Route 250
(Rockfish Gap is also the northern entrance to the Blue Ridge Parkway.)
The closest major airports are:
- Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD): 56 miles west to Front Royal
- Reagan National Airport (DCA): 70 miles west to Front Royal
- Shenandoah Valley Regional Airport (SHD): 27 miles east to Swift Run Gap
- Charlottesville-Albemarle Airport (CHO): 31 miles west to Rockfish Gap
From Washington, D.C. Metro Area
To North Entrance – Travel west on Interstate 66 to Front Royal, Virginia (62 miles). Take exit onto Route 340 South and follow signs for Shenandoah National Park and Skyline Drive.
To Thornton Gap Entrance – Travel west on Interstate 66 to exit 43A (32 miles). Take US Highway 29 South to Warrenton, Virginia (11 miles). Take US Highway 211 West to Shenandoah National Park and Skyline Drive (28 miles).
From Richmond, Virginia Area
To South Entrance – Travel west on Interstate 64 to exit 99 (87 miles) and follow signs to Shenandoah National Park and Skyline Drive.
To Swift Run Gap Entrance – Travel west on Interstate 64 to Charlottesville, Virginia (65 miles). Take exit to US Highway 29 North (14 miles). Turn left onto US Highway 33 West and follow 14 miles to Shenandoah National Park and Skyline Drive.
From Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Area
To North Entrance – Travel east on Interstate 76 to exit 161 (105 miles). Take Interstate 70 East to US Highway 522 South (25 miles). Follow 522 to VA-37 South (24 miles) to Interstate 81 South (7 miles). Follow I-81 South 9.5 miles to Interstate 66 East. Take I-66 to Front Royal, Virginia (7 miles). Follow signs to Shenandoah National Park and Skyline Drive.