in Shenandoah National Park


2023 Fee Free Days

No entrance fees will be charged on the following days:
Monday, January 16 – Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
Saturday, April 22 – First Day of National Park Week
Friday, August 4 – Anniversary of the Great American Outdoors Act
Saturday, September 23 – National Public Lands Day
Saturday, November 11 – Veterans Day

Visitors to Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park can purchase an entrance permit (valid for the day of purchase and next six days.) Frequent visitors to Shenandoah may want to purchase an annual Shenandoah pass. There are also annual and lifetime passes that cover entrance at all National Park Service units and/or Federal areas.


Entrance passes can be purchased online or at any of our entrance stations.

Shenandoah Entrance Fee – Single Vehicle – $30.00

You are required to pay an entrance fee in order to access Shenandoah National Park, whether you’re driving on Skyline Drive or hiking in from the boundary. By law, 80 percent of the money collected from entrance fees is used for projects that directly benefit visitors. The remaining 20 percent goes to parks that do not charge fees to help them with visitor services

This fee covers unlimited entry for one vehicle and passengers for seven consecutive days, beginning on the day of purchase. Vehicles must be private, noncommercial, and with a seating capacity of 15 or less.  Click here to view entrance fees for motorcycles, commercial vehicles, and other modes of entry.

To request an Educational Fee Waiverclick here.

2023 Entrance Fee Free Days

  • January 16: Martin Luther King Jr. Day
  • April 22: First Day of National Park Week/National Junior Ranger Day
  • August 4: Anniversary of the Great American Outdoors Act
  • September 23: National Public Lands Day
  • November 11: Veterans Day


Organized events such as sporting events, ceremonies and large group gatherings, including group bicycle rides and car cruises may require a Special Use Permit.

There’s so much to see!

So,  what should I do first?

We know there is a lot to see and do in the Park.  So we decided to create a seasonal top 10 lists for those who have only limited time. We asked park rangers to give us their best recommendations. Learn more about what they suggested: the Top 10 Things to Do in Shenandoah National Park.