Plan Your Visit–––––
in Shenandoah National Park
Know before you go
Plan your visit to Shenandoah National Park, the only national park in Virginia. Skyline Drive is the only road through the park, stretching 105 miles from Front Royal in the north to Waynesboro in the south. You can enter Shenandoah National Park via four access points:
- Front Royal at U.S. 340 near I-66
- Thornton Gap at U.S. 211
- Swift Run Gap at U.S. 33
- Rockfish Gap at I-64 and U.S. 250
What You Should Know About Skyline Drive
It takes about three hours to travel the entire length of the drive on a clear day. The maximum speed limit is 35 mph. As you travel along Skyline Drive you will notice mileposts along the side of the road. These posts help you find your way through the park and help you locate areas of interest. The mileposts begin with 0.0 at Front Royal and continue to 105 at the southern end of the park. For current road conditions or alerts, click here.
There are 75 overlooks that offer stunning views of the Shenandoah Valley to the west and the rolling piedmont to the east. Wildflowers put on a show all year long – in early spring, look for trillium peeking through the grass. June’s display of azaleas is spectacular. Cardinal flowers, black-eyed susans, and goldenrod keep the color vibrant right into fall, when the leaves begin to change and put on their own fall foliage show.
Watch for Wildlife
Deer, black bear, wild turkey, and a host of other wildlife call Shenandoah home and regularly cross Skyline Drive. Watch carefully for these animals, which may dart across your path without warning.
2021 Entrance Fee Free Days
There will be fee free days in 2021 in all National Park Service sites that charge an entrance fee.
Mark your calendar for these entrance fee–free dates:
- January 18: Birthday of Martin Luther King Jr.
- April 17: First Day of National Park Week
- June 20: Park Neighbor Day (Shenandoah National Park only)
- August 4: One year anniversary of the Great American Outdoors Act
- August 25: National Park Service Birthday
- September 25: National Public Lands Day
- November 11: Veterans Day
Hazardous Weather May Close Skyline Drive
Inclement weather may necessitate closure of Skyline Drive at any time. For current road conditions:
- call the park’s recorded information line: (540) 999-3500, press 1, then press 1 again
- or follow @ShenandoahNPS on Twitter